Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gingerbread House 2012

I had an idea to make a big gingerbread house this year.  Adam would design it and I would bake it, then we would all put it together.  Well, Adam came up with a pretty big design.  He had a doubtful face as he explained it and I said, "Of course we can make it!"  So he cut out the main parts and I started making the dough.  I knew it would take a while and I was prepared for it, but it really did take a while.  Because the pieces were so big, I could only bake a one or two at a time.  Then I had to make more dough.  Then I had to find a base big enough.  
Needless to say, several weeks went by and FINALLY it is done!  It was fun and even after a few breaks and construction flaws (on my part) we are already thinking of the one we will build next year!  
 Here it is compared to a kit from Target.  
A little side detail.
 It turned out to be over 2 feet long!  
 I tried stained glass windows, ivy growing up the side, and some old cottage decor.  
 I told them they have to leave it alone until Christmas and then they can start eating away.

2 comments:

kathy-o said...

I. LOVE. IT!!! Adam - you should go in to some sort of design...between you & your mom - you nailed it!!!

Christina said...

Oh my!!!! That is awesome. You are amazing and I love that Adam designed it.